Monday, January 21, 2019

The Road Taken


 “In all important transactions of life we have to take a leap in the dark. . .”  (William James, 1842-1920)


Throughout my years of practice, Robert Frost’s poem, “THE ROAD NOT TAKEN”, hung in my office, a gift from my wife.  Reportedly, it was not one of Frost’s favorite poems, but it is one of mine.  I first read Frost’s poem in High School.  It was the 60’s, the decade of nonconformity, and I was a 16-year-old adolescent.  I felt that the poem emphasized taking the road LESS TRAVELED BY and THAT HAS MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE.  It was about not following the crowd. It was about daring to be different, venturing where few had gone before.

At age 40, I wrote the following, with a different, midlife interpretation of the poem.  “Now middle-aged, married and well into my career, I read THE ROAD NOT TAKEN no longer as a teenager, but aware of other words with a different emphasis.  The poem is about A YELLOW WOOD with LEAVES NO STEP HAD TRODDEN.  So, I read this as a poem about beginning the early autumn of life.  And when I read the poem closely, I notice that the two roads are not so different AND BOTH THAT MORNING EQUALLY LAY.  The poem is about having to choose.  And if the poem had been written “I chose the one more traveled” the meaning remains unchanged.  To choose one road means surrendering the possibilities of the other. Time marches on.  But a choice has to be made.  Go left or go right or go nowhere.  KNOWING HOW WAY LEADS ON TO WAY I understand that I may never return in my lifetime to THE ROAD NOT TAKEN.  Every choice is a loss.  Every choice means giving up the possibility of a journey along the other path.”

Now 65, and beginning my journey as a new retiree, I once more return to Frost’s poem with yet another perspective and interpretation.  Loss is not in the choosing.  Loss is in the failure to choose, the failure to embark upon a journey unknown.  Life is filled with uncertainty and where the road may lead is often unclear.  It is difficult to choose without knowing that the road is safe and arrival at the desired destination a guarantee. Without reassurance it is easy to get stuck.  However, coming to the fork-in-the-road and fearing to choose, it is easy to lose the opportunity for new experiences and new understanding.  Now, having chosen a new road, I accept the unknown and the possibility of disappointment or even failure.  Where this new road will take me is unclear and yet to be revealed.  I start my journey with hope and by choosing to embark on a road unknown, I gain the possibility of new insight and great discovery. 

I come to where TWO ROADS DIVERGE, I choose, and that makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment