Friday, August 28, 2020

Gone Fishin'

 “Rivers and the inhabitants of the water element were made for wise men to contemplate, and fools to pass by without consideration.”  (Izaak Walton, 1593--1683)

The Complete Angler or The Contemplative Man’s Recreation was written 367 years ago by Izaak Walton.  This classic of English literature is a testimonial to the joy of fishing. It is an encyclopedic compilation of fishing lore and fishing tips, with a few recipes thrown in for good measure.  It is also a book filled with philosophic wisdom and speculation.  Walton writes about the life well lived, asking if life should be lived in contemplation or in action.  He decides that fishing offers its enthusiasts the best of both.

Walton’s book was his response to the uncertainty and upheaval in England during the time of Oliver Cromwell.  Walton’s fictional angler, Piscator, lives peacefully and contentedly.  Walton portrays life enjoyed apolitically, pastorally, and simply in the pursuit of fishing.

Unlike Walton I lack fishing skill and experience, but I share his enthusiasm for the sport.  I didn’t start fishing until I was in my forties.  Having begun the sport so late, I never acquired the skills or instincts of those raised with rod and reel in hand.  Unlike lifelong fishermen, I have but a few stories of exotic places visited or of great fish stalked, hooked, and landed.

But from my few years of fishing, I have learned some helpful lessons.  You can’t catch fish if your line’s not in the water.  You have to find the fish, they don’t usually find you. Keep your lures clean and your equipment in good repair. Don’t overthink it, keep it simple.  Remember to look up once-in-a-while to take in the scenery, enjoy the weather, and count your blessings.

I’m still learning many of the subtleties of fishing like choosing the correct lure for the right fish at the right depth.  I’m learning a new kind of reading, reading the visible patterns on the water’s surface in order to understand what lies below. I’m still learning how to locate fish without using an electronic fish-finder which I consider to be cheating, as I am sure Izaak Walton would too. 

The calm and quiet of fishing contrasts with the pressure and turmoil of most day-to-day demands. Fish, and there are no responsibilities or worries. Catch a fish and there are no forms to fill out, no bills to pay.  In those hours of fishing, those times of re-creation, the problems of the world cease to matter. I forget about politics. I forget about the pandemic.  I forget about all the appalling news, for a while.

I love to fish because it is irrelevant to life’s grown-up concerns. When I fish, I am young, curious and wondering, loving the lakes and rivers, loving the challenge and unpredictability of fishing.

House needs fixin’.  Bills need payin’.  Masks need wearin’.  People need social distancin’.  Democracy needs savin’.  And I’ve gone fishin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment