Monday, July 13, 2020

Stupidity


 “Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.”  (George Carlin, 1937--2008)

While the country convulses through times of historic challenge and change, I remain shut in and socially distanced.  I read a lot, and I watch the news.  I’ve written nothing since mid-April. My ideas have felt like loose threads, scattered and unorganized, not worth putting down on paper.  It has not been for lack of thoughts.  I am flooded with thoughts, but thoughts that often seem trivial, inadequate given the circumstances in which we now live.  So, I’ve been silent.

I’ve been silent.  I’ve been angry.  And I’ve been dumbfounded by the pervasive stupidity that characterizes this country’s response to the pandemic.  Everybody wants the economy to reopen.  Everybody wants the kids to return safely to school.  The solution isn’t rocket science.  There should be no controversy, no politics involved.  Everybody needs to avoid crowds, socially distance, wash hands and wear masks.  If everybody would do these basic things, without griping, we could get through this mess and move on with our lives.  But no . . .

I’m sick of hearing about the “right” to not wear a mask.  Is there a right to blow cigarette smoke in someone’s face?  Is there a right to drive impaired by alcohol?  Is there a right to run a red light, if so inclined?  There are rules and behaviors that protect others.  Wear the damn mask and quit complaining. Quit whining about your rights and assume your responsibility to others.

Sadly, enabled by a minion of spineless politicians, supported by cult followers and egged on by ratings-driven media, there is this piece of work we call Mr. President,  He claims, on the one hand, that his response to the pandemic has saved millions of lives.  He also claims that 99% of all Covid infections are harmless.  Let me repeat, he claims that he has saved millions of lives from a 99% harmless virus.  Really?  Is it just me or does that make no sense?  And just in case you were wondering, neither assertion is true.  He has neither saved millions of lives nor is the virus 99% harmless.

Mr. President likes large rallies.  Mr. President doesn’t like to wear a mask.  Mr. President criticizes and marginalizes his top medical expert, while the pandemic rages on.  All this AND Mr. President calls himself a “very stable genius.” Mr. President is a moron, but he’s a powerful moron and he’s dangerous.

It’s clear that this pandemic will continue out of control for the foreseeable future.  My hope for better things to come depends on two happenings, neither of which is guaranteed.  First, I pray that by winter there will be an available and effective Covid vaccine.  Second, I pray that in November there will be a large voter turnout and an uncorrupted presidential election.

1 comment:

  1. Two prayers came true. There is an effective vaccine which I look forward to getting, as soon as it is made available to me. There was a large voter turnout for a free and uncorrupted election. Sadly, in the aftermath of the election I forgot to pray for uncorrupted politicians.

    ReplyDelete