Monday, September 30, 2019

Prayer

“This act is prayer by which term I understand no vain experience of words, no mere repetition of certain sacred formulae, but the very movement itself of the soul, putting itself in personal relation of contact with the mysterious power of which it feels the presence.  Whenever this interior prayer is lacking, there is no religion.  Wherever this prayer rises and stirs the soul, even in the absence of forms or of doctrines we have living religion.”  (William James, 1842—1920)

“Prayer may not save us, but prayer makes us worth saving.”  (Abraham Joshua Heschel, 1907—1972)

 “Ideas about God come and go, but prayer, the struggle to find meaning even in the darkest circumstances must continue.”  (Karen Armstrong, 1944-- )

 “Prayer opens eyes to wonder.  Prayer opens hearts to gratitude and compassion.  Prayer opens souls to that which is greater than the self.  Prayer is the music and lyrics of religion.”   (GB)


It is Rosh Hashanah.  How does an agnostic pray?  For the agnostic, a prayer spoken does not mean a prayer heard.  I am agnostic.  Prayer does not come easily.

I have prayed sitting in services, as part of a congregation, but at those times I often felt disconnected, removed from the prayer.  The words come out in monotone, lacking meaning, and I am left feeling disingenuous and empty.  Now, when attending services, I bring a book.  I read and study while others around me pray.

I have prayed from the heart when, metaphorically, I’ve been in the foxhole.  When I feared for myself or the well-being of my loved ones, I found it easy to pray.

I too rarely remember to recite prayers of thanks and gratitude.  I should do so more often.  If unhappy, I try to remind myself of the good fortune in my life.  Perhaps this self-talk is a kind of prayer.

At holidays and family gatherings I have blessed my children and grandchildren bestowing upon them the ancient prayer, “May God bless you and keep you.”  That prayer comes easily.

I wrote a prayer that hung on my office wall.  It was a prayer for children, especially for those children whose parents came seeking my help and advice.

                Grant this child health.
                Grant this child peace.
                Grant this child courage, love and dignity.
                Grant this child the blessing of a life well lived.


I know where my prayer came from.  I was often humbled when faced with my limitations.  I saw many children for whom health and healing required a power and knowledge far greater than mine.

I don’t know where prayers go.  I said my prayer for children unsure to whom or what it was directed, doubting, yet hoping  that it was heard.

1 comment:

  1. "... all worship and ritual are essentially attempts to remove the callousness to the mystery of our own existence and pursuits." (Heschel)

    ReplyDelete