Sunday, August 11, 2019

Reading and Writing

“We must learn to feel addressed by a book, by the human being behind it, as if a person spoke directly to us.”  (Walter Kaufmann, 1921—1980)

“Maybe we understand, in some way, that books represent the permanent part of us that can “shed” the body and live on for a time in the new form of words.”  (Roger Kamenetz, 1950--)


Is reading my hobby?  No more so than eating and breathing.  It’s my sustenance.  I am driven to read by unquenchable curiosity.

I am a bibliophile. I treasure books, real books, not ebooks. When I read a book, I need to hold it, turn each page, underline and make occasional notes in the margins.  At times, I find books oppressive.  Books unread remind me of my finiteness; how much I don’t know, how much I still want to learn, how little time there is.  Mortality forces me to choose and prioritize, to read some and to put aside so many others.

Sometimes when I read great books and essays, I imagine I'm listening in on a great conversation, ideas being discussed and debated, back and forth defying barriers of time and space.  When I write, I pretend that I am no longer a passive listener, but a small contributor to that eternal dialogue.

Is writing my hobby?  No, it’s my creative outlet and my therapy.  The best self-help book I’ll ever read?  The one I’ve yet to write.

It’s easy for me to read. It’s hard for me to write. The more I write, the more I fall behind in my reading. I find excuses to not write. It takes time and effort.  It takes a willingness to be vulnerable; a willingness to accept the scrutiny and criticism of readers.  Perhaps hardest is wanting the writing to matter, fearing that it will not.

I write for my children. I want them to know me for my beliefs and ideas, for my occasional humor and my occasional wisdom. And if they happen to read what I’ve written, I hope they hear my open invitation to join me in a great conversation.  Here are my thoughts and beliefs.  Now, I want to know, what are yours?

This is my 50th blog post.  Time out while I catch up on some reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment