Saturday, June 15, 2019

My Father


“It is, I believe, the greatest generation any society has ever produced.”                          (Tom Brokaw, 1940 --) 

My father was born in Kansas City on May 4th, 1919.  He was the middle of three sons born to immigrant parents.  His mother died when he was 5 years old.  He subsequently moved from town to town as his father went from job to job.  When his father couldn’t afford otherwise, he and his brothers were sent back to K.C. to live with aunts and uncles. 

During the Great Depression, when my father was 16 years-old, he moved to Houston, finding work as a shoe salesman. He discovered he was good at it.  He then briefly attended the University of Texas but had to leave school abruptly in order to avoid trouble from a gambling scheme gone bad. 

He subsequently enlisted in the Army.  He was stationed in San Francisco when Pearl Harbor was attacked.  He applied and was accepted into Officer Candidate School.  He joined the Army Air Corp and completed training as a B-17 bombardier.  It was during his training at Lowry AFB in Denver where he met my mother. 

In the months preceding D-Day, my father flew 25 missions over France and Germany.  Among his honors, he earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, and the Purple Heart.  He served in a unit that had over 40% casualties.  When on leave, his plane and crew were shot down. 

My father and mother married in Oct. 1944.  Shortly thereafter, my father was honorably discharged from the service.  Back in Denver, he opened Boxer’s Steak House.  He and his older brother ran the restaurant for twenty years. Initially the restaurant did well but began to fail in its final ten years. 

When I was approximately 12 years old, my father sold the restaurant.  A few years later he opened The Antique Trader, finding success in the antique and used furniture business. He was never happier than when he was in one of his stores or at an auction.  The stores were open seven days-a-week.  Unless forced to do so, he never took a day off.  He didn’t want to.  He continued working every day well into his 80’s. 

My parent’s marriage lasted over 60 years, but it was not a happy marriage, at least not while I was growing up. My father was the classic workaholic, though for him his work was his play.

As a young child I remember my father teaching me how to catch a ball and how to ride a bike.  I remember him asking me my spelling words and checking my homework.  As I got older, we interacted less and less.  There were never any arguments or harsh words spoken between my father and me.  But neither were there any meaningful heart-to-heart conversations.  Once, when my father nearly died from an ulcer, he wrote down his feelings about me and my sister, expressing his love.  Ordinarily, he never shared his feelings.  My sister and I were at a loss to know what to do with his new-found demonstrativeness. However, once recovered he quickly reverted to his old self. 

When in High School, or home from college, I would occasionally work at the store driving the delivery truck.  My father would get very short and impatient with me.  The message was clear. I was not going to continue in the family business.  My sister and her husband would fill that role.  I was expected to continue my education. 

I tried at times, in his last years, to engage my father in dialogue.  My effort was hindered by his refusal to wear a hearing aid.  I would start the conversation. “What did you say?”, was his usual response.  I had some evidence to suggest that his poor hearing was, in part, selective and that he could hear better than he let on.

My father was largely about three traumas; the death of his mother, the depression, and the war.  He learned to build a protective wall, always in control and never allowing himself to get too close. He could be very generous, but he could never accept the generosity of others. He was afraid to love and was uncomfortable being loved. He was self-contained, finding fulfilment in his work, but not in his family.

My father’s wall could not be breached, not by me.  He died October 15th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment